In anticipation of their 3rd annual music and arts festival, Outside Lands has teamed up with MixMatchMusic and URB.com to host a badass remix contest featuring songs by Gogol Bordello, My Morning Jacket, Rebirth Brass Band and Beats Antique. Using MixMatchMusic’s Remix Wizard, anyone can have a crack at remixing and the winner will get a chance to perform at Outside Lands in front of thousands of festival goers! How cool is that?
How to participate?
1) Choose a song to remix
2) Download the song stems, its free and easy!
3) Create your remix using the stems and any additional music or beats that either you have created or have a creative commons license for. You can also make your mix online by clicking on the MixMaker button of the widget.
4) Upload an MP3 of your remix via the same widget you used to download the stems. Enter as many remixes as you like!
5) Share the track with your friends and ask them to comment, rate, playlist your mix and share it with their friends on twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and their blogs, etc.
6) Once you have finished and uploaded your remix, judges will select a winner for each track and one grand-prize winner!
7) Contest ends at 11:59pm on August 5th, 2010. Winners will be notified on August 6th, 2010.
Each song will have one winner who will receive two general admission passes to the festival and a prize pack of CDs from the artist they remix. Each of these winners will go on to compete for the grand prize, which includes two passes to the festival with artist credentials, a custom MobBase iPhone app and lifetime subscription from MixMatchMusic, $500 for travel expenses, and a one-hour set in front of thousands of festival goers at Outside Lands!
About the bands
Gogol Bordello’s Trans-Continental Hustle, the group’s American Recordings debut, is perhaps the most ambitious undertaking in the group’s already remarkable decade-long gypsy punk career and it’s the result of an inspired, year-length collaboration with famed producer Rick Rubin. Gogol Bordello is arguably the hardest working — and hardest rocking — group of our discordant new century, maintaining a touring schedule and an onstage energy level that would send the average combo running for the emergency room.
Kentucky-born My Morning Jacket formed in 1998 and has been going strong ever since. Their fifth full-length studio album, “Evil Urges” is the most far-ranging, surprising, and satisfying record of the band’s career. Have a go at remixing the freak-funk electro-slam of “Highly Suspicious” for your chance to win.
Rebirth Brass Band, a New Orleans institution, evolved from playing the streets of the French Quarter to playing festivals and stages all over the world. Committed to upholding the tradition of brass bands, while at the same time incorporating modern music into their show, their signature brand of heavy funk has been winning over hearts for almost three decades.
Beats Antique is an Oakland, CA based group forging a curious alliance between middle eastern traditions and potent west coast circus, underground hip hop, breakbeat brass band, downtempo, glitch and dubstep. Their paradoxical brand of electro-acoustic music is perfect fodder for the savvy remixer.
About Outside Lands
The 3rd annual Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival takes place in beautiful Golden Gate Park in San Francisco on August 14 and 15, 2010. The two day festival is a celebration of music, food, wine and art that benefits the San Francisco Recreation & Park Department. It features over 40 bands, including Kings of Leon, The Strokes, Phoenix, My Morning Jacket, Further featuring Phil Lesh and Bob Weir, Wolfmother, Gogol Bordello, Al Green, Nas and Damien Marley, Tokyo Police Club and more! For complete, up-to-date information about Outside Lands click here. To start remixing, click here.